Since the beginning of the INBRE program I’ve been reading literature and finding different procedures to produce zirconium-based Metal-Organic Frameworks (MOFs). I am currently running several different reactions under different conditions to synthesize zirconium MOFs. After I am successfully able to produce zirconium MOFs with different organic linkers, we will test their absorptive properties using UV-vis spectroscopy. Our goal this summer is to compare the absorptive properties of MOFs that contain carboxylate and thiol carboxylate organic linkers.
It's crazy how within a short amount of time I’ve learned so many valuable research skills. In lecture lab when a reaction did not work as expected, typically the professor or teacher’s assistant would explain what could have happened. During my research this summer I had to take a step back an ask myself what could have happened if a reaction did not go as expected. I’ve also learned how look up articles and find procedures that I am able to perform and experiment with.